Tomorrow will mark 50 years since the blessing and official opening of English Martyrs school building at St. Mark Street.
Today we celebrate our Golden Jubilee year with Fr Alex blessing the school.
But our school history goes back much further than that ...
The school was established in the nineteenth century as part of the Tower Hill Mission to serve the needs of a large, deprived Catholic community who lived and worked in the East End and expanding docks area.
The school, then known as Tower Hill School, began operating from a temporary corrugated iron structure that also housed a church and parish centre.
On 12th December 1866, Cardinal Manning blessed the building and it was dedicated to the English Martyrs.
In 1870, Tower Hill School’s foundation stone was laid by Princess Marguerite of Orleans in the presence of the Duke of Norfolk, Count Denbigh, Earl of Granard and the Marchioness of Londonderry.
"We are special people on a journey, growing and learning together in
search of excellence, as we follow in the footsteps of Jesus"
English Martyrs Catholic Primary School, St Mark Street, London. E1 8DJ
Tel. 020 7709 0182